What is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
If you don’t know what IF or intermittent fating is it is basically just taking long breaks between meals i.e going from dinner on one night to dinner on the following night without eating anything. This is usually done once or twice a week in periods ranging from 12 to 36 hours at a stretch.
Using intermittent fasting can help you to:
- Reduce blood glucose and insulin levels (improving the state of the overall glucose metabolism)
- Increasing fatty acid oxidation with increased FFAs (through increasing lipolysis hormones GH, glucagon and adrenaline)
- Sparing and preserving muscle tissue (lean mass)
- Increasing various health factors (lower inflammation, lower blood pressure, reduced oxidative stress, increased protection against neuro-degenerative diseases, and more)
- Keeping the metabolism strong/healthy (as eating more meals does not “speed up” your metabolism)
There are also a multitude of lifestyle benefits such as not being a slave to eating all day long (like modern “diets” seem to preach), having more natural daily energy/focus, and even just learning how to enjoy eating once again (with good foods and friends).
Overall it can be a simple eating lifestyle that can not only help you lose weight, but more importantly let you relax and provide relief from obsessing about food or “diets” all day.
Here is a link to an article that goes into great depth o the subject of Intermittent Fasting